[TowerTalk] Hi Power lines - interference

To: "TOWERTALK" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hi Power lines - interference
From: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:48:00 -0500
I have some land in the country that has high power lines along one side.  I
don't know the voltage but there are three lines and they are suspended from a
crossbar mounted between and extended beyond pairs of large wooden poles if
that helps understand the voltage carried.  Also, I haven't measured it but I'm
sure there is at least 12 foot separation between the lines on the crossbar (24
ft between the outside two).

My question is whether they will bother communications on HF or VHF if I were
to put up my towers there.  The optimum location due to the lay of the land
would be about 50 yards.  100 yards would be possible but require longer feed
lines.  Comments?

Thanks, de Jim KG0KP