[TowerTalk] Tower climbing gear

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower climbing gear
From: "Larry Ledlow, Jr. N1TX" <n1tx@amsat.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:30:06 -0800
Safety is of utmost importance when dangling above the solid earth, whether
two feet or 200 feet.  I have one tower at 130 feet, so I am keen to keep
safe. I first climbed a tower 20+ years ago.  Technology and techniques have
changed a lot since then (thank goodness).  I'd like to hear from others on
types of equipment, tools, and various hardware used for doing the high
work.  In any event, I offer up the following resources for tower safety
equipment and techniques:

Manufacturers

http://www.yatesgear.com <http://www.yatesgear.com/>

http://www,elkriver.com <http://www,elkriver.com/>

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/Accueil

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/

Training/Techniques

http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0200/d000287/d000287.html

http://www.n1fd.org/fieldday/towerClimbingBasics.pdf

http://www.natehome.com <http://www.natehome.com/>

http://www.sotc.com/attc.html

http://www.tower-pro.net/

http://www.safetyinfo.com/

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/2001156.html

I have specifically avoided mentioning vendors of fall protection equipment,
because it's a very mixed bag.  However, I can say one thing: My recent
experience with Glen Martin Engineering has been entirely unsatisfactory.
AVOID THEM.  It has been a long time since I have ever had such a remarkable
lack of "customer service."  They lied about shipping dates, were unable to
provide UPS tracking numbers, and basically didn't give a rat's ass that I
got what I paid for or not in a timely manner.  Perhaps the basic problem
rests with Elk River, the harness manufacturer.  However, GLEN MARTIN
(http://www.glenmartin.com <http://www.glenmartin.com/> ) is the one who
took my money and charged me premium rates for "rapid" delivery.  Three
weeks later, no harness, no tracking number.  Two weeks in a row I was lied
to about when the shipment was actually sent.  Rudeness on the "customer
support" line.  I cancelled the order, but not before I had a major
opportunity lost.  Anyone wishing details can email me directly.

73 Larry N1TX/KL7