Re: [TowerTalk] Why Did I Order These?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Why Did I Order These?
From: "Tower (K8RI)" <tower@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:55:54 -0400
Mike Switzer wrote:

Hi All

I purchased some N connectors and unknowingly ordered crimp on connectors.
Before I send them back I would like some opinions. I got TC-400-NM Times
Microwave Systems connectors. It calls for a .429 HEX die crimper to be
used for installing the connector. Anyone have any experience with these
connectors? Anyone know where I can get a crimper at a reasonable price?
Maybe I should purchase a crimper and use these . what do ya think?

I picked up some 2 piece N connectors at a swap this summer. They are silver plated brass and a tad less expensive than the regular N-connectors.
They are very easy to use and make a more solid connection than the regular N-connectors.

The center conductor is a permanent part of the insert which looks a lot like the back end of a PL-259. Cut about a half inch of insulation, brade, and dielectric off, trim back another half inch of jacket, twist in place, solder the center connector (it has a tiny hole in which to apply solder), solder shield through the two holes, and screw together. It has a gasket inside for sealing.

No, they aren't near as fast as crimping, but for the cost of the tool and handles I could replace every connector in my system thrice over and I have a lot of connectors. Not nearly as many at Tom, but then again I only have one acre and two towers, not an antenna farm on top of a mountain. <:-))

Ignorant in Goodrich, MI (EN82)

Where's Goodrich? The UP?

Roger (K8RI) in Midland

I gotta get my sig into this mail reader.