Re: [TowerTalk] Phasing stacked tri-banders (or,"can you check my homewo

To: <k4rv@mindspring.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Phasing stacked tri-banders (or,"can you check my homework?")
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:28:23 -0700
This sort of works... (I've tried it, both real, and in extensive
simulation)

A couple aspects that will bite you:
1) The optimum takeoff angle changes, so the optimum phasing changes.  No
problem, if you're willing to continously adjust.  I'm actually not sure
that adjusting small changes is really worth it for the few tenths of a dB
you'd see.

2)  Swapping in lengths of coax doesn't necessarily give you the
corresponding phaseshift.  If you have any mutual interaction between the
antennas, then the feed point impedances will change, which will change the
effective phase shift.

3) There was a nice writeup of a similar idea in one of the ARRL antenna
compendiums using a pair of verticals a fair distance apart.  He used a Pi
or T network for the phase shifting.  The adjustment method was quite
elegant.  Hook them up out of phase, adjust for the null, then reverse the
phase on one.

4) A network to do continously variable phase shifts is probably nicer in
this application than an incremental relay/coax scheme.  More compact, and
lends itself more to tweaking.