[TowerTalk] Telrex TB5EM hairpin

To: <n8de@thepoint.net>, <N4CW@aol.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Telrex TB5EM hairpin
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:22:43 -0400
Let me ask you TB5EM guys a question.

I have had one for years and use it every year for Field Day on our RTTY
station.  We pressed it into service when someone said, "Anyone have a
tribander we can use?" and I had it here in storage.  Quickie-style, we just
attached center conductor and braid, each, to each side of the split driven
element with stainless steel hose clamps, didn't use the stainless steel
screws that go through the tubular Cycolac (or whatever it is) insulator at
the center.  It worked great, 1:1 SWR, the appropriate SWR curve, good gain
and directionality.  We have never seen any reason to change it.  I've put
it up on a portable tower at home and have been using it and it's been very
effective here too.  I came across a second TB5EM and plan to feed it the
same way and have them up in a stack.

So, getting to the question:  What degradation in performance should I be
expecting to see by virtue of not having the balun or hairpin?

73 - Rich, KE3Q