RE: [BULK] - Re: [TowerTalk] ARR Preamp Failures

To: 'W0UN -- John Brosnahan' <shr@swtexas.net>,Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>,Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [BULK] - Re: [TowerTalk] ARR Preamp Failures
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 09:16:26 -0700
What W0UN posted is very true.  I've used dozens of ARR GaAsFET preamps over
the years, and running 1500W PEP output power on the VHF bands I've never
blown a preamp yet.  But I sure wouldn't rely on an RF-activated T-R
switching scheme, at any power level.  Use "hard keying," with sequencing to
be sure the preamp is bypassed before the exciter can generate any power.
ARR used to sell a 4-port (or maybe more than 4?) sequencer as an
accessory...maybe they still do.  Ask Jay!  -WB2WIK/6

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home." - Ken
Olson, Chairman & Founder, Digital Equipment Corporation (1977)