Re: [TowerTalk] 2 element 40m steppir yagi

To: "Al Williams" <alwilliams@olywa.net>,"towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 element 40m steppir yagi
From: "Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 10:39:31 -0700
What I was thinking about for my small suburban lot was a
big IR driven element attached to a mast pipe in concert
with a single regular IR parasitic element cantilevered on a
short boom off the mast. This would give 2 element yagi
performance on 13.8 to 54 MHz and rotary dipole performance
on 6.9 to 13.8 MHz, and still be reasonably "neighbor friendly".
The big IR driven element could be grounded to the mast with
a relay and used as tuneable top loading for a 160 meter
shunt-fed tower. For eighty meters I would probably just use
an inverted-vee.

As far as 80 meter yagi's go, I think the hot ticket would be
a center loaded element with small_IR element halves installed
beyond the center loading to serve as a continuously adjustable
elements tip. The IR element tips could then be adjusted from
the ground for optimized yagi performance from 3.5 to 4.0 MHz.
Getting the control wiring past the inductor might be a
challenge (you might be able to put it inside the coil tubing).