Re: [TowerTalk] Shields

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, "Steve Katz" <stevek@jmr.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shields
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 21:15:15 -0700
I'll bite, as well..

Double shielding might provide a more consistent cable propagation
characteristic as the cable flexes.

Double shielding might help (if properly (however that might be) to separate
the "coaxial transmission line outer conductor" from the "shield" (that is,
it's a shield around a coaxial cable).

If you expected to take ESD or other discharges to the outer shield and
didn't want the terminating load to have to suck up the energy. The outer
shield performs the function of the "green wire" safety ground, the inner
shield is the RF return.

In expensive houses being wired for cable TV.. quad shielded just has to be
better than triple or double shielded, and since labor is the dominant cost,
why not install it,because your competitors are.
(I'm waiting for the alarm/cable TV/residential network installers to give
traceable certificates on test equipment for their installations... "what do
you mean Cat 5 has a legal meaning?  You mean I need to test the cables
after I pull them, and I can't just staple them to the studs?"  Don't get me
started...)