Re: [TowerTalk] Figuring Out Prop Pitch Wiring

To: Towertalk Reflector <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Figuring Out Prop Pitch Wiring
From: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:14:02 -0700
The selsyns I used to have had 5 wires, 3 stator and 2 rotor. The stator was a 3 phase winding and was not connected to the rotor. I remember this clearly because once in the 60s at a UBC dance I drove the rotor of one from an audio amp, and connected each stator wire to its own audio amp and speaker. The speakers were appropriately distributed around the periphery of the auditorium. Don't remember how I dealt with the ground return. Maybe I had 3 transformers, one across each stator winding.

Then I fed the Beatles' "Day In A Life" into the rotor while slowly turning the rotor by hand. This caused a number of people to act very strangely indeed, especially when I sped it up and slowed it down.

So, if these selsyns are like mine, there will be 5 wires. Find 2 which show some resistance between them but no connection to the other 3 wires. These are the rotor wires. The other 3 are the stator wires. The resistance between any pair of them should be the same as between any of the other 2 pairs.

As I recall, the 2 rotors were connected in series with an ac voltage source, although I suppose parallel would work just as well. Mine were 60 Hz but I think 400 Hz is more common. Don't remember the voltage. The stator wires for one were connected to the stator wires of the other. Doesn't matter which goes to which except that if you get it wrong, the indicator will turn the wrong way when you turn the sensor. Just reverse any 2 stator wires.

Hope this helps.

73 de Jim Smith VE7FO

Ward Silver wrote:

Hi all,

As you may have heard, John N7TT is the proud new owner of the W7RM QTH in
southwestern WA.  John has a bit of a project on his hands, to say the
least, as he restores the "infrastructure".  In the process of preparing the
QTH for sale to what the family expected would be a "normal person" (to use
John's words), all of the cabling was yanked from the radio area and into
the yard, unlabeled, in preparation for a rapid takedown.

John now has nearly a dozen prop-pitch motor/selsyn cables laying on the
ground without any indication (so to speak) of what the connections are at
the tower.  It would be really great if someone could suggest a method -
such as an ohmmeter or DC measurement - that would allow him to figure out
the connections without having to laboriously climb up and down the towers a
million times.

I've volunteered to help figure this out for John, but maybe this would be
of help to others with "mystery wiring", too.  Such nfo might be of use for
troubleshooting.  Suggestions?

73, Ward N0AX