RE: [TowerTalk] Shields

To: 'Tom Rauch' <w8ji@contesting.com>,"Daron J. Wilson" <daron@wilson.org>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Shields
From: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:47:48 -0700
Actually, in my experience using hardline or 100% (or at least very good
double) shielded cables in VHF-UHF repeater systems and cavity interconnects
in duplexers does make a difference, not necessarily in notch depth but in
generated noise that can bother receivers.  I also see this "noise" issue
when using many antenna designs that are perfect for simplex operation and
stink in duplex operation with any power applied.  It seems the oxidation
between shield strands, which is always there even with brand new cable and
worsens with age, creates minute noise-generating interfaces (or something).
I've put up repeaters using brand new mil-spec RG213/U and running 100W
output power with a very good duplexer had desense problems resulting in
poor receiver performance.  Replacing absolutely nothing in the system
except the transmission line, going from 213 to 9913 or hardline or some
other 100% shielded cable, completely eliminates the noise -- it's gone.
This has happened to me so many times it cannot be coincidence.

I've seen the same thing with aluminum-to-aluminum clamped construction
antennas when used in repeater service, which is why you'll almost never see
this construction used in repeaters.  Soldered or welded construction
antennas work fine.  A brand-new Hustler G6 or G7, which are very good
"simplex" antennas and can last many years when installed with a bit of
NoAlox on the joints during assembly, are crappy repeater antennas.
Replacing one with a Stationmaster or RFS 4-pole made of heliarc welded
aluminum tubing and no clamps -- ahhh.  Perfect.  Zero noise, zero desense,
zero problems.  The only difference is the "repeater" antenna doesn't have
any clamped connections, other than the grounded ones that attach it to the
tower.

WB2WIK/6

"Nobody needs more than 640k!" -Bill Gates, 1982