Re: [TowerTalk] Disturbing tower picture in QST

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"Markhasin, Vitaly" <Vitaly.Markhasin@UE-1.com>,"'Bill Coleman'" <aa4lr@mac.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Lee Wical" <leewical@lava.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Disturbing tower picture in QST
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 05:24:46 -0500
I wonder how many critics of this picture have actually seen the picture and
how much of this thread has been fuelled by nothing more than hearsay or
hatred of the ARRL.

It's a tiny little thing, 1 column wide by perhaps 2.5 inches. My eyesight
resolves to 20/20 with corrective lenses, and I can't see enough detail to
determine whether they are wearing harnesses.

I do see what looks like a red nylon strap around the middle climber, but
anything else he might be wearing is obscured by his jacket and right arm. I
can't make out if that's a harness or not.

I see hints of red up the back, over the shoulder and down the front of the
top climber and between him and the tower, but again, cannot make out in
sufficient detail to determine definitively he's not wearing a harness.

And we cannot see below the bottom person's feet, so to conclude he's acting
unsafely is a guess at best. He certainly appears to be standing on the
tower, but how many rungs up from the roof? The only persons who can say for
certain are himself, his towermates and the photographer.

Because the picture is so small, I can't say one way or the other what
safety gear is employed. Certainly the hard-hat criticism is valid.

As photographic evidence of any dishonesty on Steve Ford's part, this just
doesn't hold up.

73, kelly
ve4xt