[TowerTalk] BPL

To: Robert Lay <w9dmk@crosslink.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] BPL
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:51:46 -0700
Robert,
BPL is currently a big subject in Ham Radio today. As I stated I was not making a political statement, only reporting what I heard on live T.V. which I thought was relevant because of a couple of previous posts a few hours earlier reporting the big FCC BPL report release. I apologize if it offended you but I think you are making far too big a thing out of my post. Maybe you could direct your energies towards those of whom started the original BPL threads.
As far as your comments concerning moving entirely to digital modes, I am a ZUT'er, and will give up my key when you pry it from my dead, cold fingers.............

I don't really want to comment further on what I reported but since you sent your comments slamming me to various reflectors I will make my reply as a REPLY ALL. If you do wish to further continue the discussion please do so as a direct email to me and not a post to a whole string of groups.

Robert Lay wrote:

Dear Alan,

Reading your post, I almost lost sight of the fact that this is a ham radio
forum - Hi!

Here's my opinion on BPL - either it will die of its own dead weight, or it
will turn out to be a big paper tiger. In other words, the power industry
isn't really that interested in it, themselves. They just happen to own the
physical plant. Even if they get into it, it's only because they make a few
pennies out of it here and there. It may turn out to be a bigger pain in the
butt than they need.

Insofar as the much discussed interference issue goes, I've heard one scare
story after another for years on the subject, but until I see how the entire
short wave community reacts to it, how can I get excited? The users of the
other 95% of the HF spectrum are going to be hurting a lot more than us
hams. If it starts hurting services that have direct connections into every
level of government, then we'll see how long the honeymoon lasts between
Powell and BPL. Personally, I'm hoping that ham radio moves into the digital
modes, entirely.

Bob Lay (W9DMK), Dahlgren, VA
w9dmk@crosslink.net
Home Pages: http://www.qsl.net/w9dmk
http://zaffora.f2o.org/W9DMK/W9dmk.html
http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/albania/784

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY