Re: [TowerTalk] Vertcal Dipole

To: "K0PYK" <k0pyk@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vertcal Dipole
From: "Kelly Taylor" <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:18:59 -0500
There is in the ARRL handbook a design for an end-fed dipole just like Tom
suggests. It was oriented horizontally, but I see no reason why vertical
orientation wouldn't work.

The antenna was made of coax, with 1/4-wl of sheild stripped from one end.
At approximately 1/4-wl from that point (approx. 1/2-wl from the end of the
centre conductor), a simple choke was created by coiling the coax which then
could run intact all the way back to the shack. So the centre conductor was
one pole of the dipole and the braid from the feedpoint back to the RF choke
was the other.

Of course VF was a consideration and as I recall, the choke position
required experimentation to get right.

Seems to me the big issue, once the electrical issues have been sorted out,
is water penetration, particularly with the antenna in a vertical position.
I'd be tempted in this case to get a continuous length of glue-lined
heat-shrink to cover the top radiator and extend past part of the feedpoint.
Once the length was right, I'd use another piece of glue-lined heat-shrink
to create a cap and upper mounting device.

73, kelly
ve4xt