Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler mobile resonators dipole

To: "Scott Fike" <kc0bus@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hustler mobile resonators dipole
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:45:23 -0700
> 1) I'm assuming that orienting this antenna vertically would make it
> vetically polarized. Is this correct?

Yes,  but, if it's close to other conductors (i.e. the feedline) that
reradiate.. it may not be all that pure of a polarization.

> 2) I was also wondering if somebody with some EZNEC modeling experience
> might be willing to model this antenna  for me so I could see what the
> radiation pattern of such a physically small (but electrically long)
antenna
> would be like. Specifically, I'm interested in seeing what the angle of
> radiation would be and would it be even remotely low enough angle of
attack
> useful for any semblance of DX work at all?

For all intents and purposes, the pattern will look much like a vertical
dipole at the same height (except that you can get a lot closer to the
ground than 1/4 wavelength).  As you make a dipole shorter (and deal with
the reactive component by some means), the pattern gets slightly less
directive (that is, it won't be 2.15 dBi anymore, but something a bit less).
So... the real question is how high is it off the ground, and what are your
ground properties like?

Your pattern will be similar to that of the Force 12 Sigma series verticals,
which are also shortened loaded vertical dipoles.
Take a look at the patterns on their website....