Re: [TowerTalk] #14 wire

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "IZ4EFN Alessio" <iz4efn@libero.it>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] #14 wire
From: "RICHARD BOYD" <ke3q@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:07:11 -0400
By the way, #14 actually means "14 gauge," and -- someone help me on this --
I think it means something like 14 spheres of that diameter would equal a
certain weight.  Somehow that doesn't sound quite right concerning wire
gauge, but it must be some system like that.

Anyway, in shotguns, "shot size," it means a certain number of those (e.g.
12 gauge) -- say, 12 of them, lead spheres that diameter, would equal one
pound in weight.  Think I've got that right, hence 10 gauge, 12 gauge, 16
gauge, 20 gauge, 28 gauge.  For the smallest shotgun bore diameter, called
410, for some reason the system switches over to "caliber," or fraction of
an inch diameter, which is the system for rifle bore diameters.

73 - Rich, KE3Q