Re: [TowerTalk] Windlass suggestions needed

To: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Windlass suggestions needed
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:19:57 -0700

> 2.) I intend to fabricate a dual rope-guide out of de-burred
> and polished pipe welded to the mounting plate to prevent
> the rope from slipping off the capstan.

All the capstans I've seen (on boats and service vehicles) didn't have any
sort of rope guides around them.  Just the capstan sticking out there.
Maybe there's a tangle/jam hazard? If you want to rapidly let the rope go
out, and you flip it off the top of the capstan, you want it to run free,
and not get hung up?  (I just thought of one exception to the "no guides"..
the anchor line/chain  comes up through a hawse pipe or through some guides.
And, yes, they jam, when being let out, especially on the chain part (the
"rode"?), if the links get crossways or twisted.)

Maybe there's something about (inadvertently) having something controlling
the angle the haul line makes with the capstan (the guide acting as a pulley
to redirect the line?))

> 3.) It will have a safety type footswitch

Water? Uneven ground? etc. Are you going to be in a rocky area where the
switch could fall down in between rocks and jam "on".  What about tangling
with the end of the rope coming off the capstan?

> 4.) I sized  the winch so it will lift at about 85ft/min
> maximum and will stall at just over 500 pounds. My thinking
> was the stall capacity of the winch needs to be the weakest
> link so I can't break anything, including the rope.
>
> 5.) I plan on welding a large clevis to the mounting plate
> so the rope can be held in place if needed, without ever
> removing it from the capstan.

Clevis or cleat?

What about one of those nice cleats like they use on sail boats?  You can
just lay the rope into the cleat, and it grabs (sort of the marine
equivalent of a Jumar ascender).  They hold well, and you can just jerk up
on the rope to uncleat it.

> This way any workers won't under the tower, the rope won't
> slip off, and it won't be a shock hazard (12 volt).

I think the "rope not slipping off" is the responsibility of the operator.
Otherwise, why not just use a winch?

> Anyone ever do this? Anyone see a problem?

You might take a look at some of the sailing magazines.  They'll have
pictures of how the rigging works, particularly for things like the jib
sheets, where you have to run them in and out fairly quickly, cleat them,
etc. you'll have to look through all those beauty shots of the wretchedly
expensive (either time, money, or both) boats and look in the corners or
backgrounds of the photos.  Marine supply catalogs might also be a useful
resource.

There are sailors on this list who might have a whole raft of sites to point
you at to see how someone else has solved the problem.