Re: [TowerTalk] Cable TV hardline question

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable TV hardline question
From: Tim Holmes <W8TAH@Zoominternet.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:04:50 -0400
I also came up with some Cable TV hardline. Its 1/2 inch (I think) - Jacketed in PVC with an Air Dialectric. I have been looking for ways to connect it for my VHF / UHF antennas. Also I am concerned about the impedence mismatch. I know you can build transformers, but I am not yet sure how (been getting bombed at work, haven't had much time for research) The compression fitting connections that were suggested look like just the ticket, does anyone have any good ideas on the transformers?

Thanks

TIM
W8TAH

Tower (K8RI) wrote:

You may get a variety of answers, but I have used a lot of the 3/4 inch stuff over the years and was quite happy with the results. It worked well with long runs as long as there were no sharp bends. The 1/2 inch is quite fragile while the 3/4 inch is pretty rugged. Connectors for both sizes are relatively easy to make out of brass compression fittings.

The 3/4 inch fittings http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/conn.htm while the 1/2 inch can be made with a PL-259 and a 1/2 inch compression coupling.

At one time I had almost a full reel, but most of that has been used. I think I may have a 150 or 200 feet left, but none in the air at present.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Today the power company took down the overhead lines coming up the 700ft
driveway to my farm (in preparation for moving our circa 1870's farmhouse to
the frontage of the farm onto a new foundation). For the asking the power
company gave me the telephone poles (ahh...a great place to put up a 6 or 10
meter yagi). When the cable tv guy was up in his bucket truck taking down
the cable hardline I asked him "what are you going to do with the cable" He
replied "we have to throw it in the dumpster". I told him I was a ham and
might be able to use it, so they gave me the cable for the asking. He also
said they throw out hundereds of feet of this stuff everyday!!

So the question is, is the 75ohm aluminum shielded hardline of good quality
or not? Is it acceptable for running trunklines to the beverages? How long
will it last buried not inside a pipe?