[TowerTalk] Wireless internet antenna on ham tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Wireless internet antenna on ham tower
From: "Rick Bullon" <kc5ajx@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 04:36:51 +0000
Last week I learned that in the next 2 to 3 weeks we will have high speed wireless internet service available ( hooray). I stopped by the local computer store that was offering the service. The owner took me into his office and did a line of site survey on his computer, based on my location and the tower that is going into service later this month. Well according to the tropo program his is running there is a large hill between me and the tower site that will block the wireless signal. (which I find hard to believe because the tower is the same one that the local 2 meter repeater is on and I can hit that full quieting with a handheld and 2 watts)
Anyway he said that he could not service me as there was no line of site for the signal. I mentioned that I had a 70' tower ( Rohn 25) and he ran the program again with the receiver antenna at 50' on my tower. Now we had a line of site.
Now the questions

1 I was told the internet antenna was about 2' square and the signal was 2.8 ghz. My tower has a TH-6 @40' another TH6@70' and a F-12 EF240X@about 80' I don't think this little antenna has small enough wind load not to over load the tower right?

2 Since I am going to only be active on HF then I should have to worry about interference from or to the internet antenna right?

3 Now this is where I am concerned I plan to shunt feed the tower for 160. If I decide to run QRO on 160 do I need to worry about frying the internet antenna???

4 in the future I need to get an antenna up for 80 meters I have a full size dipole I can use for now. Later I am thinking about 4 slopers any problems here??

The guy at the computer store said that I may in a good position for an internet node here at my QTH. Do I really want to consider this what are the pro and cons of this? I seem to remember a thread on here about someone being approached by a cell phone carrier to use his tower for a cell link but I think this is a little different as the antenna is smaller. I already know about getting them to take responsibly for inference problems as they are unlicensed and I am the licensed party anything else?

I also know to make sure they have proper insurance in place before I let them on my tower anything I am forgetting anything?

TIA
73
Rick
kc5ajx