Re: [TowerTalk] Roof mounting 5BTV

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Roof mounting 5BTV
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 11:37:35 -0800
May I suggest for a limited space antenna the MFJ-1786 loop. It covers all freqs between 10 and 30 mhz and is 3 ft (36 inches or 1 meter) in diameter.
I used one that I disguised as a T.V. antenna on my roof top in a HOA CC&R home and worked DXCC and all the contests. It out performed a R-7 that was later replaced by a R-7000 mounted on a 10 ft pole as recommend by Cushcraft.
I have attached a pic of the antenna to give you an idea of the installation. Those of you who are CC: should be able to see the pic although the list won't see it due to attachments being rejected.

I would also suggest the R-7 or R-7000 or their later versions over the 5BTV as they do not need the long radial wires at the base since they are 1/2 wave antennas vs 1/4 wave for the 5BTV.

My humble opinions only. Good luck.

David Jones wrote:

Tom,
Great stuff as always.
Have a similar scenario about to happen here.  Just moved to a smaller lot
and for the next few years a tower is not part of the plan, so a vertical in
the backyard (with many radials) will have to do.

With respect to your question about the 5BTV and the manuals suggestion of
two coax chokes, assuming a vertical mid-backyard, about 20ft from the house
with coax going to a basement shack, and your suggestion of putting the
choke further from the base to avoid radial coupling...
a) Could you get by with simply one choke at the basement wall as the coax
enters the shack (given some of the radials will be that long and longer)?
b) Do what the manual says and put one at the base and one at the basement
wall?

David VE3STT

Message: 1