[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 23, Issue 47

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 23, Issue 47
From: KJ0M <kj0m@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:42:21 -0600

Message: 1 Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:49:13 -0500 From: "Pat Chiles" <chilesp@adelphia.net> Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower Raising Fixture Question To: <towertalk@contesting.com> Message-ID: <001d01c4c8be$65045260$0200a8c0@PATXP> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Pat Chiles, chilesp@adelphia.net wrote:

I took delivery of my new tower yesterday and with the help of Pete, N4ZR, and a neighbor who owns a front loader I now have it standing on the pad and plumbed up.

Cranking this tower (HDX 555) from horizontal to vertical was unexpectedly very hard. The only additional weight was a 140 lb mast snuggled inside the tower. I could only do about 10 complete rotations and then had to take a break and I am a fairly big boy and in fair shape.

My question is what have others done to lessen this burden? Is there a better winch or rigging scheme to gain mechanical advantage? My tower has two side-by-side pulleys on the tower, but only one is used.

Both are used on my tower.

The raising fixture only has one pulley.

Mine has 2 on the fixture also.

The cable goes over the pulley at the raising fixture, around one of the pulleys at the tower, and back to the raising fixture where it is terminated on a bolt. We have it rigged per the instructions.

Mine goes back again to the tower through a second pulley on the fixture, to the second pulley on the tower and then back to the fixture terminated with a bolt, as you see. This appears to double the mechanical advantage? Physics types could tell you.

I can crank my tower (TX-472) very easily with one hand without a break. It comes up very slowly, but that's due to the mechanical advantage of the pulleys. I have a Force 12-5BA (~85 pounds) and Force 12-240/230 (~50#) and a mast of over 100# on my tower. I've even had my wife crank the fixture just to show her how easy it was.

Perhaps they only use 1 pulley because you've got 1 less section with a 555 vs a 472 tower? Only guessing, but I would think the extra advantage of the second pulley would make all the difference in the world.

de KJ0M
Jim
._._.