Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum tube 100 years old today

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Vacuum tube 100 years old today
From: "Bill VanAlstyne, W5WVO" <w5wvo@cybermesa.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 06:39:34 -0700
This is all off-topic, of course, but so fascinating... Hopefully we'll all be
forgiven.  :-)  I once had the opportunity, at an audiophile friend's home, to
do a blindfolded side-by-side comparison of two audio amplifiers he was testing,
one a recent solid-state design that was very well-regarded in the audiophile
community, the other a hollow-state rig, also brand new and equally
well-regarded, producing approximately the same amount of power. Everything else
in the test was identical -- music (on virgin vinyl, of course), turntable,
preamp (tube, of course), and speakers.

And yes, I could hear the difference. The tube amplifier was better. It was very
subtle, but clearly identifiable: The solid-state amplifier produced a
beautiful, clear, warm, 2-D separation of the musicians on the "sound stage",
but the tube amplifier went one step better and produced a sense of 3-D depth
that I could actually hear. The drummer, for example, instead of being located
"there", could be heard to be located "there, and back about ten feet". I didn't
know which amplifier was producing which test until afterwards.

Is this a function of overtones, or harmonics, or what? I don't think anybody
really knows. But don't scoff at those who say they can hear a difference this
subtle. Been there, done that.  :-)

Bill / W5WVO