Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4Square Comtek box

To: "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Ted KT1V" <kt1vbulk@demop.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4Square Comtek box
From: "Jerry Muller" <jerry@k0tv.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:11:06 -0500
I absolutely agree with Ted. I design and build the things I WANT or HAVE to
homebrew. I pick and choose what I'm going to homebrew. I figure the time I
spent homebrewing stuff instead of buying stuff is time I don't get to spend
with my wife. By spending a few dollars instead of homebrewing, I can spend
more time on other things. Systems engineering of a high performance station
can involve purchased components. If everything had to be homebrewed, you'd
spend a lot of time making your own transceiver. I'm a professional software
engineer and I could easily write the code for a microprocessor controlled
rig. I have no desire to spend the time doing it however. Somebody who
wasn't a pro at it could learn a vast amount if they had to do it, but it
would take them literally months if not years to do it and that assumes that
they didn't have to write their own C compiler and RTOS (even though the GNU
stuff is free, but I digress).

In the past, I've homebrewed a sideband transverter for 23 CM. It was a
really high performance unit when I built it but I wouldn't do it again
today. I'd throw dollars at that instead. I might build my own LNA and will
definitely build my antenna mounted relays and possibly the high power amp,
but the stuff I could buy would get bought and not built.

The tradeoff for me is an easy one. I buy the Comtek box (I have two of
them, 80 and 40) instead of spending tons of time working on a W7EL phasing
unit for two bands. I homebrew the phasing unit for my 160 phased array
because that's not a four square and the phasing required is not anything
standard.

73, Jerry K0TV