Re: [TowerTalk] ICE Suppressor Placement?

To: Pat Chiles <chilesp@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ICE Suppressor Placement?
From: "Alan C. Zack" <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 10:31:49 -0800
In my situation I have only a 20 ft run from the ham shack to the tower. I attached my ICE devices to my grounds at the base of the tower. The grounds there are the UFER system attached to the rebar cage as per bldg codes as well as 3 ten ft ground rods attached together by a wire circle surrounding the tower base with each ground rod attached to a tower leg. I also have a 10 ft ground rod just outside the shack wall where my station ground is attached. I chose the tower ground system over the single ground rod at the shack wall since at the tower it is much more extensive and to my way of thinking a more direct path.
Any comments to my thinking would be appreciated.

Pat Chiles wrote:

I have purchased 4 ICE devices for my new tower installation. I was under the impression that they should be mounted just before the shack on a bulkhead close to the ground rod. The purpose, I thought, was to keep the lghtening out of the shack. The ICE instructions say that the best place to mount them is inside near the equipment and single point ground bulkhead, after the amp, and preferably before the tuner. Is this how others are doing it?

Pat, K8PC

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY