RE: [TowerTalk] Tower Installation

To: "'Alan C. Zack'" <k7acz@cox.net>,"'Tower Talk'" <TowerTalk@contesting.com>,"'Antennas'" <antennas@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Tower Installation
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:57:53 -0000
Against Tri-ex's recommendation I did climb my LM-470 to secure the feed
lines and control lines to each standoff.  I did jam a 2x4 through the
crossbars at the top of each tower section with the idea that maybe if the
cable did break the 2x4 would keep the tower from fully telescoping.
Dangerous and I sure don't recommend it.

A much safer way to secure things would be to hire a boom truck with a man
basket.  Here in Phoenix boom trucks are very inexpensive to hire because of
all of the roof mounted air conditioners.

In hindsight, I could have cranked the tower to it's fully extended position
while it was horizontal and resting on blocks.  That would require some kind
of dolly to support the upper sections as they were extended.  My LM-470 is
positive pull-down so running the sections back in would not have been a
problem and even without positive pull-down I have a cable winch that would
work.

I do recommend that you secure the cables at each standoff as that will
spread the weight of the cables among the standoff's rather that putting all
of the weight on one standoff if it were only secured at the top.  And those
cables do get heavy.

I used 1/8" nylon string to tie the cables to each standoff and then wrapped
plastic tape over the string to protect the string from the sun.