Re: [TowerTalk] Station grounding on granite

To: ny6dx@netscape.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Station grounding on granite
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:47:27 -0500
You would not want to use aluminum strap in contact with copper. It will corrode away the aluminum in a short time.

Burying copper wire for a ground is a good thing to do. However a very long run will do little good. The inductance of a long run gets too high and the long length of wire becomes useless. It is much better to use shorter runs out in different directions. Build a buried radial system just like you would for a vertical antenna.

73
Gary  K4FMX

ny6dx@netscape.net wrote:
Martin as an electrician and a cert. lighting ground installer in New York
might I suggest the following.
   First when seccureing your wire for lightning use only copper or aluminium
nails and straps.all others will not work.Second do not bend sharp angles in
the ground wire(sweeps only)the speed at wich lightning travels will cause it
not to make a sharp turn.
   As for being on granite if you run a bare copper ground(#4
recommended)burried 2 ft or so run it as long as possible.the increase in the
surface area in contact with the ground will help disipate the charge.Hope this
helps NY6DX

Martin Ewing <martin@aa6e.net> wrote:

Folks,

Having invested in a SteppIR, a roof-top tower, a
rotor, and several wire antennas, I find I have a lot
of copper running out to the sky from my shack.  Too
much to easily disconnect when I hear thunder.  Time
to think about a better protective ground system.

Inside the shack, I am thinking of a single-point
ground plane near the feedline entrances.  All
connections including AC power, telephone, computer,
SteppIR/rotor control, etc. pass through surge devices
on that plane, and all equipment is hopefully
connected by low inductance strapping to the SPG.

My problem is how to get a good "earth ground" for the
SPG.  My house is on a granite ledge with only 1-2 ft
of soil nearby. We are about 80 ft from salt water,
but that doesn't help. The house does have lightning
rods with 3 or 4 downleads (more on this in a moment).
The 20-ft rooftop tower is connected to a lightning
rod ground, but feedlines are not.

I was wondering how the lightning rod grounds were set
up, so I partly excavated one.  The results are
visible on my web site:
http://www.aa6e.net/aa6e/grounding .

Is this approach - dual buried horizontal ground rods
- good enough even for home protection?  Should I do
something like this for my station? (The shack is not
near any of the existing ground connections.)

It's clear that not even an "excellent" ground
connection can prevent kilovolt surges from a near
hit, because that is what happens to the earth itself.
And full protection from a direct hit to the house is
hard to achieve (IMO) no matter how you try in a
typical home retrofit. The whole shack should be
inside a grounded metal box...

My philosophy now is to concentrate on the SPG system
and not to obsess on the low-Z ground, which must be
pretty hard to realize over rock.  (I would put in
something like what I see on the existing lightning
rod system.) If the SPG is really good, and the
equipment is all referred to that carefully, then it
shouldn't matter if the whole system floats up and
down by kilovolts.  (Hopefully the op is elsewhere!)

The "kilovolt" scenario doesn't quite catch the full
impact of a direct hit to the antenna.  10,000 amps
into a one ohm ground (?) is 10 kV.  No one expects
the Spanish Inquisition! (i.e., worst-case event)

I would appreciate suggestions, especially from anyone
who has faced a similar problem -- and survived the
worst.

73, Martin, AA6E

p.s. Fortunately here in CT, we have fairly low
lightning incidence.  Even so, we had a close strike a
couple of years ago.  A BIG crack, and both my close
neighbors lost their telephones and other electronics.
We had no troubles here.  My tower was down then;
maybe our lightning rods actually caught one. Thank
you, Ben Franklin.

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.