RE: [TowerTalk] question on boom coupling

To: <EL34GUY@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] question on boom coupling
From: "Rex Lint" <rex@lint.mv.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:32:29 -0500
Mark,

One way to do it is to take a 3 foot (depending on the length of your boom)
section of the 3 inch stuff and to cut it along its length.  Then make
another, parallel cut so you have a slot running the lenght of the 3 foot
piece.  The width of the slot should be such that when the two oposing sides
touch, the outer diameter of the 3 foot section will be smaller than the
inner diameter of boom.  Use a hose clamp or two and squeeze the slotted
section so that the oposite sides of the slot touch, the slip the section
inside one piece of the boom, place the other end of the section inside the
other piece of boom, and release the hose clamp.  Now apply pressure to the
two ends of the joind boom (I used a sledge hammer on a block of wood
applied to one end of the boom while the othe was against another block of
wood against a concrete wall.  Finish it off by drilling a few holes and
running in some sheet metal screws.

Rex
K1HI