Re: [TowerTalk] Problem That Needs Ideas & Update

To: "Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Problem That Needs Ideas & Update
From: "Pat Chiles" <chilesp@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 15:13:55 -0500
Hi Doug,

Yes, the switch grounds the driven element of the XM240. I tried posting an up date, but got an automatic message back that says I am not a list member and must wait for the moderator. Don't understand that since he sends me my password on the 1st of the month like everyone else. I will paste my update into this message and see if it gets posted.

This is an update:

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. There was a lot there that I hadn't tried. I did go out in the rain and try a feww of the ideas. When I put everything back together it started working. The only things that changed was I lowered the tower due to high wind advisories and I placed the TH7 on a different port than what I was testing on. I had tried this port before though and had the TH7 fail on the port it is now working on. This was about the 25th disconnection and reconnection of the cable.

Having managed computer networks in my other life, I know that I must go forth and break it again so I can fix it and understand why. This we call a hobby.

I tried the barrel connector clamped to the tower and it made no difference. I also tried a 3 foot pigtail that was tested on the 40M and it still failed. I inspected the connectors side by side. They are both teflon, but made differently so could be slightly different in size. I am having trouble believing that lower the tower had anything to do with it, but am trying to keep an open mind. I will run the tower back up and see if it fails again before I try and break it again. I want to try a dummy load or another 10,15, or 20 antenna. Tomorrow the weather is suppose to improve and then 3 more days of rain.

That's all the news fit to print,

Pat, K8PC