RE: [TowerTalk] insurance and towers

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] insurance and towers
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:21:12 -0500
Jim,

> In addition, there is now a firm called "CLUE", or Comprehensive
> Loss Underwriters Exchange, which provides a loss history which
> all carriers can see.
>
> As a result, you need to be VERY careful with what you claim.
> Or even inquire about.
>
> In 2002, in the backwash of hurricane Lili, I lost a 100' tower
> and antenna system when a 90' oak fell across a guyset.  In the
> same storm,  I had a branch break off a 150' tall white pine, and
> damage my roof.  The insurance company logged that as two claims.
>
> Earlier that year,  we had two events with large trees
> downed, touching the house.  I called the insurance carrier to
> verify coverage in one.  My wife called in the other, as I was
> away.   They logged them as claims, with no payout.

There is a process, although I do not have the particulars, to
have that record corrected.  Check with your state insurance
department.  This has been an issue recently in Florida due to
coverage inquiries following the multiple hurricanes.

In your case, the record should be adjusted to reflect ONE claim.
Inquiries in which no claim was filed should not be entered into
the CLUE database and multiple claims as a result of a single
event (Lili) should be entered as a single event (even if the
insurance company processes the claims separately).

Much like the Credit Rating Agencies, CLUE is required to repair
incorrect data and/or include customer responses (on request) in
the event of "unfavorable" records.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK