Re: [TowerTalk] yv5mbx - QSK question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] yv5mbx - QSK question
From: "K8RI on Tower Talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 15:32:43 -0500

I ran QSK as a Novice many, many, many years ago. At that time I only hoped to make 13 WPM.

Javier,

QSK will allow you to hear received characters between your sent characters.
That is useful when trying to break a pile-up or when you are operating a
net. At even 12WPM, that can be useful.

The only disadvantages--to me, anyway--are:

1) Depending on whether your radio and amplifier switch electronically or
with a relay, the constant switching can get a little noisy and can put some
wear on relays

2) If there is a lot of background noise on the signal, it can rive you a
little crazy to hear the noise between characters or words that you are sending.

To some extent this depends on your AGC delay.
I never ran with the AGC off. It served as a "sort of" noise blanker between characters.

S40B with Heatkit Q multiplier, Viking Ranger, and a 12AT7 TR switch.

N833R, World's Oldest Debonair (S# CD-2)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Nice Santa Claus at your QTH!

73,
Bernie K5XS