RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Omni Directional Antenna on Tower

To: Steve Katz <stevek@jmr.com>
Subject: RE: [BULK] - [TowerTalk] Omni Directional Antenna on Tower
From: Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:04:06 -0800
Actually, don't EVER use LMR-400 for a duplex operation. There is some interaction between the braid and the foil shield that causes noise and harmonics in a duplex operation. Actually, it always does it, but in a simplex operation, it doesn't cause a problem. The RG-214 has a double braid and does not have the silver/aluminum interaction and is a good choice.

If you MUST have more information, I will dig it up for you. I learned this from the experts on the Yahoo Repeater Group...

Also, another trick is to spin the rotor fully clockwise. Bring the coax up to just below the rotor and then wrap it loosely around the rotor in a clockwise rotation 1-turn.this is the tightest this loop would ever get. As the rotor turns counter-clockwise, this single loop will open up (like a rope opens up when you twist it opposite of its natural twist). Its easier on the coax and it doesn't flex as much as the normal way of looping past the rotor.