[TowerTalk] Weather proof a box

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Weather proof a box
From: CubexCo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:35:10 EST
Keith,
The likely problem is accumulated condensation, the secret to keeping outdoor
boxes dry is a "weep hole".  Of course doesn't work if submerged, but does
solve the problem of the internal pressure cycling that occurs as the box is
heated by the sun, and cooled by rain and the vacuum formed sucks moisture in
which then condenses out and accumulates.  Drill a small hole in the lowest
corner (1/8") and let the box breathe.

Norman W4QN
In a message dated 1/11/2005 12:09:27 PM Eastern Standard Time,
I need to weatherproof a relay box.  Under test conditions it accumulated an
inch of water in the bottom over a six month period.  What is a specific
brand of silicone sealant recommended?  I understand the kind with vinegar
smell (acetic acid) will corrode electronics components in a sealed
environment.  Also, is there a need to insert a desiccant in the box?

The box is NEMA industrial type, made of plastic with neoprene o-ring seal
on lid.  However, there are many holes drilled for stainless hardware used
to mount the relay and connect wires to the exterior.  The relay itself is
the open contact variety with self-cleaning contacts (hot switch 20 watts
RF), and supposedly impervious to damp conditions.

Thanks for any advice.

Keith NM5G