Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproof Sealant

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Weatherproof Sealant
From: Red <RedHaines@centurytel.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:08:31 -0600
Greetings, TTs;

In my former life as an engineer, it was agreed that keeping water out of enclosures was difficult. When possible, we designed enclosures with drainage and ventilation (and screening to keep out the critters). True sealing to keep out water vapor required materials like glass and solid metal; materials like rubber just slow the migration of water. I worked on one undersea system. The approach employed was to enclose electronics in the top of an oversized box, with enough empty space in the bottom to accommodate several years of water entry before the accumulating water reached the electronics.

There are other approaches, but these were among the simplest and most reliable.

7e de WOØW