RE: [TowerTalk] unguyed heights for Rohn 65 etc.?

To: "'RICHARD BOYD'" <ke3q@msn.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] unguyed heights for Rohn 65 etc.?
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:59:20 -0500

> Anyone have an idea (or facts) how high I could go unguyed
> with Rohn 65, assuming a single 48' boom monobander for 20,
> or 15, or 10 (plus appropriate rotator, and I'll have the
> yagi right above the tower, shortest mast possible within
> reason)?

The Rohn Commercial Catalog (11993) gives the following
allowable antenna areas for Rohn 65 at 80 MPH (Prince Georges
Co. is 75 MPH zone):

Ht.      no ice    1/2" ice

50'       19.7       19.1
60'        9.4        4.1

Note 3:  Designs assume two 7/8" lines on each tower face.
         (nb: 7/8" line is .0875 sq. ft. per lineal foot)

> Okay, let me toss out another possibility:  Rohn 80 (I know
> it comes in various sub-models, some 40" face, some 44" face
> and there may be other differences, but assume the basic or
> the typical one).

No chart in my book for Rohn 80 free standing.  "Each tower
is individually engineered to handle a particular job."

Rohn 80 is 41" center-to-center on the legs however the legs
vary from 2" to 3" in standard (schedule 40?) and X-STR
(schedule 80?).  Rohn 80 has both standard (zig-zag) and
cross braced sections.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK