[TowerTalk] RE: Station ground

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RE: Station ground
From: "Ed Hansen" <kc7kcu@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 10:35:15 -0700
I am following this subject with great interest since a tower and a new "ham
shack" (relocating to another room in the same house) are in the near future.
I operate mobile mostly on 2 meters when I travel but am headed for more HF.
My concern now is that I have never heard of a floating ground in a vehicle
where the radio is tied directly to the battery (both leads fused of course).
I operate an old 2 meter transceiver dedicated to APRS, with a GPS, laptop
computer, cell phone, and sometimes a refrigerated cooler, along with a Yaesu
FT-100D "floating" under the back seat of the cab.  With the exception of a
tiny bit of ignition noise in the FT-100 I haven't had any problems in the 2
years I have run this way.  From the tone of this subject I should be exploding
any minute while driving down the road.  (Well maybe I stretched that a bit).
Yes, this year I am going to rewire the truck because I am not entirely
comfortable with the arrangement, but not because I have had any problems.  The
base station is a subject for an other time.  What I am wondering, is this
problem wide spread.  Is there a lot of problem  with others.  Maybe I am
reading more into this than there really is.

Ed.........KC7KCU