Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid/soldering iron

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid/soldering iron
From: bob finger <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 11:30:42 -0500
I have a very old American Beauty iron I use only for PL259's.It has a wood handle and cloth covered ac cord. I suspect it is a minimum of 200 watts, and I let it heat up for 30 minutes or so before using it on coax/connectors. My 240 watt gun that does not have a big enough tip area to do the job properly. The iron/gun has to be hot and big enough to quickly heat the connector. Should not take more than a few seconds to get all four holes to draw solder. Keep your eyes open for one of the old irons at garage sales/farm auctions etc...makes all the difference in the world. 73 bob de w9ge