Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259

To: "W7TMT" <patrick@dayshaw.net>,"'Tower Talk'" <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re: Cutting braid - Installing PL259
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 17:09:45 -0500
> Well that's interesting. You referenced several times in
> your posts "...what Amphenol recommends..." etc. - for
> example not pre-tinning the braid and now the 0.00" braid
> edge dimension. I was surprised because the old assembly
> instruction sheet from Amphenol that I've always used
> indicates that 1) there should be a "set back" between the
> face of the dielectric and the edge of the braid (not
flush
> cut) and 2) the braid and center conductor should be
> pre-tinned.

That's what I do Patrick.

I use a small shield set back because without it voltage
breakdown is reduced.

I lightly pre-tin the shield and center because it greatly
speeds soldering time and prevents broken wire strands from
getting loose.

As long as the shield is tinned, all you need do is lightly
scribe and break it. That will make a clean end.

73 Tom