Re: [TowerTalk] THRUST_BEARING_WANTED

To: TowerTalk <TowerTalk@contesting.com>, W1GOR <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] THRUST_BEARING_WANTED
From: Jeff Goldman <k3dua@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:30:43 -0500
Look at the bearings at:

http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp? UID=2005011717263740&catname=powerTrans&keyword=PBFB

There are 4 pages of heavy duty flange bearings. I bought 2 of the 2-15/16" bearings for my tower. Good bearings, and good prices.

73,
Jeff, K3DUA

On Jan 17, 2005, at 10:46 AM, W1GOR wrote:

George,

If you cannot find a replacement thrust bearing through Ham Radio sources, you might look up the name of your local industrial bearing distributor. I have found that very few thrust bearings are unique to Ham Radio, and are generally replaceable by an industrial replacement. The only differences that I've seen are the galvanizing and grease fittings. Thrust bearings are used for many industrial applications, although they may not be galvanized. An application of rust-preventative paint will provide adequate protection from the weather. Many heavy-duty industrial bearings are designed with grease (Zerk) fittings that allow (encourage..?) periodic re-lubrication.

73, Larry - W1GOR

----- Original Message ----- From: "George" <w2yj@highstream.net>
Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 8:31 AM
Subject: [Antennas] THRUST_BEARING_WANTED

I wonder if anyone has a Hi-Gain thrust bearing for a HG-52SS crank up tower. The tower is no longer made and Texas Towers can't help me.
Thanks.
George W2YJ