[TowerTalk] UST HDX5106/TRX100HD raising fixture question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] UST HDX5106/TRX100HD raising fixture question
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 14:06:41 -0800 (PST)
I have a UST HDX5106 tower with TRX 100HD raising fixture that I
have just installed on the concrete base.  I am almost ready to
try tilting up the tower.  It occurs to me that the tower weighs
3000+ lbs, thus there will be 1000+ lbs load on each leg when
upright.  What I am afraid of is that when the tower is nearly
upright, it is going to reach a tipping point and suddenly fall
down into place with 1000 lbs of force.  It seems obvious that
I must do something like tie a rope to the top of the bottom
section of the tower and have it go around a pulley that lifts up a
weight.  I am estimating that I need 200 lbs of pull to counterbalance the
tower (the 21 feet of height giving some leverage against the 3 ft base).
Or perhaps I should put a car jack under the 3rd leg or something.
I've never read about this issue either here on the reflector
or in the nonexistent UST documentation.  Perhaps on "normal" towers
you can just use an "armstrong" techique, but this tower is a
little too big for that.

Any advice appreciated.

Rick N6RK