RE: [TowerTalk] GFI Circuits

To: W2RU@frontiernet.net (W2RU - Bud Hippisley),towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] GFI Circuits
From: ny6dx@netscape.net
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 18:12:32 -0500
Bud,
   I think there is more here than meets the eye.A gfi breaker is not rf
sensitive,its meerly a current transformer that monitors the current relation
between the 120volt lead and the return on the nuetral leg.Only an inbalance in
this flow would cause such a failure.

W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>At 08:30 2005-01-21, K8RI on Tower Talk wrote:
>>Another option is to use GFI breakers...which are expensive.
>
>A problem with using GFI breakers instead of GFI outlets is that the entire
>branch circuit becomes an antenna. ?My house came with a GFI breaker on a
>branch circuit that fed an outdoor outlet on the porch plus an outlet and a
>light fixture in the master bathroom; whenever I used the linear amplifier on
>80 meters, the breaker tripped. ?For some reason, my XYL found that
>unacceptable. ?I wound up making the bathroom a completely separate branch
>(which it should have been in the first place) fed from an ordinary non-GFI
>breaker and terminated in a GFI outlet in the bathroom. ?
>
>I haven't gotten around to buying a suitable GFI outlet for the porch yet, so
>I still knock that circuit off whenever I'm on 80 with the amplifier. ?But I'm
>the only one who ever plugs anything into the porch outlet, so it's no big
>deal.
>
>Yes, you can feed multiple outlets in a room from a single GFI -- the licensed
>electricians here (New York State) do it all the time. ?Just don't let the
>length of the branch circuit "beyond" the GFI (i.e., between the GFI outlet
>and the farthest protected outlet on the branch) get too long or you'll have
>yourself an antenna, just as if you had a GFI breaker at the beginning of your
>branch circuit.
>
>Bud, W2RU ?

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.