[TowerTalk] Re: Trees, Mountains, 15 degrees...

To: woods@grantspass.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Trees, Mountains, 15 degrees...
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:12:15 -0800
Hello again Jim,
I am assuming you gave me True azimuths, not magnetic azimuths...
Your more detailed figures detail the vertical angles over the two mountains as follows:
Red Mountain: 6.5 deg vertical angle at 45 degrees azimuth
Walter Mountain 12 deg vertical angle at 91 degress azimuth

Certainly the Walker mountain elevation is significant, and Red Mountain significant, though less so.
You should download the free propagation program called W6ELProp It will draw a Beam heading map for your location, for all locations on the globe. The parts of the world that are affected by those two directions and points in between, are generally Central Africa through South Africa.
Other local elevations can be shot with respect to azimuths, and the corresponding world locations can be determined from W6EL prop. You should still be able to work the African Continent, but it will be harder to do than if you had a low elevation angle to the horizon.
Remember, just have fun...and if the West has a low horizon, you should be able to work the Pacific, Asia, Australia etc with no problem...

73, de Pat aa6eg@hotmail.com