[TowerTalk] automatic tiltover of R8 vertical

To: <rmthorne@cox.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] automatic tiltover of R8 vertical
From: "Jim Jarvis" <jimjarvis@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 14:58:18 -0500
Reading this thread with interest, as I own both
an R7000 and an R8, and may have need for a tiltover
operation.  They're both decent antennas, and I don't
know anything about the hy-gain alternative.

First, don't underestimate the load associated with the R8.
30' of aluminum can easily get out of control.  Second,
consider a counterbalance system.   i.e. fasten the vertical
to 8 or 10' of 2" mast, and hinge the mast to a support, just
below where the vertical attaches....such that it can fold over.

THEN, put weight on the bottom of the mast to balance out the
weight of the vertical.  At that point, you can contemplate
automating the system.  That will minimize the size of the
automation necessary.

I had my R8 up in VT, on a radioshack pushup mast, which was
bracketed to the side of my flat-roofed house.  Assembled the
vertical on the roof, then dropped it on the mast.

It's not an easy thing to stand vertically and guide down on
the mast. The counterbalanced system would tame it considerably.

Incidentally, you want the "radials"...the decoupling capacitative
foot...well above head height, particularly if running power.  They're
RF hot.  So that mast will serve double duty.

N2EA
jimjarvis@ieee.org