Re: [TowerTalk] re: stiffening masts

To: Dave NØRQ <n0rq-lists@sbcglobal.net>,"Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>,"Towertalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re: stiffening masts
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 06:02:18 -0500
Of course an aluminum mast will break. Did you ever break off a beam element trying to straighten it?

73, Pete N4ZR

At 07:17 PM 2/2/2005, Dave NØRQ wrote:

Rob put into words exactly what I was thinking.

That aluminum mast might flex, and if wind was bad
enough, yes, it would bend.  However, it won't break, while
those steel masts could easily break (if pushed beyond their
limits), not just bend.  I'd rather keep my antennas in the air
on a bent aluminum mast than on the ground because of a
broken steel mast.  I suppose monster beams or long mast
lengths might require steel, but I suspect most ham
installations would do quite nicely with aluminum.
--
Dave NØRQ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
This is not on-site advice so take it as such -- you are the final decision maker. having said that, if it flexed and sprung back, maybe that was a desirable thing.

next time you go somewhere on an airplane look out at the wing when you hit a little turbulence. you will see it waggling up and down. it is made to do that. if it were made to stay stiff, the plane would crack apart.