Re: [TowerTalk] 2 element phased vertical

To: "Van Fair" <giw@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 element phased vertical
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:44:19 -0800
At 02:50 PM 2/3/2005, Van Fair wrote:
Thanks Jim. So If it was Up and I measured the impediance, all I would need
is someone to help me with the calculations to determine the length of  the
3 pieces of coax in degrees. Do you measure each antenna independetly with
them 1/4 wavelength apart.

The standard technique is as follows:

Open circuit the feedpoint of antenna 2
Measure feedpoint impedance of antenna 1  (call this Z1open)
Short the feedpoint of antenna 2
Measure feedpoint impedance of antenna 1 (call this Z1shorted)

Open circuit feedpoint of antenna 1
Measure feedpoint impedance of antenna 2 (Z2open)
short feedpoing of antenna 1
Measure Feedpoint impedance of antenna 2 (Z2shorted)

Now.. there's some math involved to get to 3 numbers:
Z11 - self impedance of antenna 1
Z22 - self impedance of antenna 2
Z12 - mutual impedance between 1 and 2

Say I make the following measurements:
Z1open 60+j10
Z1short 32+j39
Z2open 45-j20
Z2short 39+j12

After grinding a bit, you'll wind up with
Z11 60+j10
Z22 45-j20
Z12 36.5-j25.5

Now, lets say I want to phase it 90 degrees apart..
I want element #1 current to be 1+j0 amps, and element #2 current to be 0+j1 amps

A bit of complex math, and I find that the voltages at the feeds are:
1) 85.6+j46.5
2) 56.5+j19.5

(The feedpoint impedances are 85.6 + j46.5 ohms and 19.5-j56.5 ohms respectively)

Restricting the search for lengths to those longer than 75 ft, and using 75 ohm coax with 0.5 dB of loss/100ft with velocity factor 0.66, I get that the feedline to #1 has to be 24.66 meters and the one to #2 has to be 23.28 meters. (about 11.75 and 2.71 degrees at 3.6 MHz).

THis is somewhat different from what you'd expect in the example, mostly because the impedances are a bit weird.

It turns out that if you want to phase it the opposite way (i.e. -90), you can't find a solution. It gets close, but there isn't a pair of cable lengths that makes it work. I suspect you'd need to tune out some of the reactive component at the feeds to make it work.

Would the lengths be 84 ,84 and 71 degrees as
shown on 11-33 or would this be a part of the calculation based on the
measured impediance to make the length turn out to be in phase for broadside
and 90 degrees for off the end. Or am I completely off base.  Once again
thanks for your help and I promise to quit bothering you.