[TowerTalk] Boom splice securing

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Boom splice securing
From: wb4mle@ctvea.net
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 14:48:52 -0500
I have a HyGain TH3-MKIII that has about 1 foot of the boom gone from a
fall. I have a piece of another boom- same size with a swage that will go
into the boom 5 inches (2 1/2 inch split in boom). I plan to use a hose
clamp and think I should rivet the splice to the boom at the split outside
ends to control torqueing. If I use rivets, I feel the split should face
UP, as facing downward will tend to open or bulge the split with downward
force. The split will be sealed with butyl rubber and chrome tape under the
hose clamp.
Am I missing/overlooking something with this plan?

Thanks!
Eddie, WB4MLE