Re: [TowerTalk] quick waterproofing for PL-259 connectors?

To: Roger K8RI on Tower <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] quick waterproofing for PL-259 connectors?
From: Alan Zack <k7acz@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 09:18:17 -0800
There are "Finger Condoms" that assembly workers stick on the end of their fingers. They are also a little thicker than the regular kind. They are good to slide over the open ends of coax connectors.

Roger K8RI on Tower wrote:

That's certainly using your imigination, but I didn't know they were made that small<:-))
OTOH maybe they are using large coax.

How about a condom?

Still, cut the end off, twist to fit, and use rubber bands at each end?

Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL Life Member)
N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

73 Gary K4FMX

Roger K8RI on Tower wrote:

You might try to find a bicycle tire innertube of the proper size. I know it's small, but there many be some that will fit. Won't be cheap though.

Another alternative is silicone and latex tubing (if you can find it). I know it's manufactured, and either would work well, but I don't know who sells the stuff retail.

You could cut the fingers out of a latex surgical glove (size small), but those are fragile.

Think innovation. There have to be lots of sources.

Roger Halstead (K8RI and ARRL Life Member)
N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com

I'm looking for good ideas on how to waterproof a PL-259/SO-239 type
connection (say, a pair of PL's with a barrel in between) for temporary use.
There's lots of good ideas in the archives for permanent installation, but
what I'm looking for is something for a portable/field day operation.

1) real fast to mate (ideally, no extra time over what it takes to mate the
connectors)
2) cheap
3) real fast to demate
4) Ideally, no consumables
5) Doesn't require tools
6) Can be done in the dark/rain

Maybe something like a rubber boot that goes over the connector? (but how
does it seal on one of the ends?)

I'm interested in ideas for the "extension cord" (cable to cable) and the
"wall socket" (cable to equipment) usage model.

For the chassis mounted application, "rain tight" might be good enough (i.e.
it doesn't have to tolerate immersion), but for the cable to cable
application, water/mud/dirt proof is desirable.

While I'm thinking about it, ideas for waterproof or raintight 12VDC power
pole style connections and Cat5 networking would also be useful.

Alan Zack
Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
SEMPER PARATUS
http://www.gocoastguard.com
http://www.uscg.mil/d14/units/asbp/uscgasbp/
DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY