RE: [TowerTalk] HAM IV

To: "'Manoj Agarwal'" <vu2wap@touchtelindia.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] HAM IV
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 03:49:44 -0000
Not sure how you have the mains wired to the control box, but I had the same
problem with mine wired for 110 vac and the chassis of the control box was
wired to the safety ground in the house wiring.

The schematic on page 28 of my manual shows a wire (green in the United
States) running from the center pin on the a.c. plug to chassis ground.  If
you lift this wire from the chassis and the hum goes away you do not have a
good enough connection between your tower (the rotator head is grounded to
the tower) and your power company ground.

I do not recommend you leave this saftety ground disconnected as it could
leave you with 220 vac between the rotor wires and your tower.

de Paul, W8AEF