Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering and checking PL-259

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Soldering and checking PL-259
From: "Steve Maki" <steve@oakcom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:40:10 -0500 (EST)
Here's a little trick for making a "close visual inspection":

Before screwing the PL259 onto the coax, pop out the center
pin/dialectric combo by inserting a small blunt object, like
a small nut driver, into the connector and giving it a sharp
rap.

Then solder the connector shell onto the coax in the normal
manner. Look into the connector to verify that you don't have
any disturbing blobs of solder. Insert the center pin back into
the connector, solder it, and you're done. Except you don't
have to worry about the unknown.

After you do this a few times you become comfortable with your
technique, and will undoubtably dispense with the extra step.

Steve K8LX

Daniel Hileman said:

> Hi everyone,
>

> First off, I want to thank everyone for all the great
> suggestions and comments I've received with previous questions. Ok, here's
> another for you. I'm getting ready for various
> antenna projects and tower work this Spring/Summer, I need to know what to
> look for a how
> to check my soldering job on PL-259's...I have a multi-meter and want to be
> able to check to make sure I have things the way
> they are supposed to be. I know I probably should know this already, but I've
> pretty
> much always had someone else do it for me, and I want and NEED to do it
> myself now. I've found several tutorials on
soldering