galvanized Grade 5 bolts Re: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 26,Is

To: "joegps" <joegps@snet.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: galvanized Grade 5 bolts Re: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 26,Issue 44
From: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 07:28:43 -0800
One can buy galvanized Grade 2, 5, and 8 bolts, as well as all manner of
passivating coatings.  Given that Grade 5 is surface heat treated, it might
not be compatible with "hot-dipped" galvanized, but certainly, electroplated
zinc is available.  Hot dip might also be available (depends on whether the
temperature of molten zinc is high enough to foul up the heat treating).
I'm pretty sure we used hot dip Grade 5 structural bolts on a construction
project I was involved with some 10 years ago, but I don't have the drawings
here to check.

For instance: http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials.aspx
(the very first hit on googling "Galvanized grade 5 bolt")

And, a quick check of a bolt catalog shows hot dip Grade 5 and A325 types...

I would imagine, though, that one cannot just whip on down to Lowe's or Home
Depot and buy Grade 5 HDG bolts. You probably have to go to a real fastener
supplier.