RE: [TowerTalk] RADIAL WIRE, Aruba corrosion

To: "'Terry Gerdes'" <terry@ab5k.net>, <TOWERTALK@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] RADIAL WIRE, Aruba corrosion
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:00:47 -0500

It was stainless but I do not know the grade.  In a warm salt spray
environment, like Kwajalein, any grade of stainless will rust.

I can confirm that.  Commonly available SS fitting do rust, but very slowly.
Marine grade SS fairs better, but even it will form a layer of rust over
time.  I'm oceanfront here, and the ocean does a number on garden variety
SS.  SS comes in different grades, and only the highest grades work well but
they are $$$.

Even some of the fitting on my sailboat are spot rusted after only four
years.

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"