[TowerTalk] WIND LOAD CALCS

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WIND LOAD CALCS
From: "B. Platts" <bplatts@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:35:01 -0500
Hello folks,

This question is not specifically related to antennae, however in my internet
search, you come the closest to being able to give me some kind of answer.

We are a contractor, and the specific project conststs of the installation of a
number of concrete poles, 42' overall, with 7 feet of burial depth encased in
concrete, 2 feet in diameter.  Between these poles, we are to install two
levels of 1/2" diameter stainless steel cable, one at 15' above the ground, and
one at 32'.
The pole manufacturer has provided us with the maximum EPA at varying wind
speeds for the poles, although their data does not take into account the
concrete encasement.  How would we calculate the EPA of the steel cable,
assuming a maximum distance between poles of 170'.  The cables are anchored to
the poles using eyelets, and are also anchored to buildings at various
locations.

Thank you in advance for any light you may be able to shed on this issue.

Brian J. Platts
Benson Electric, Inc.
Miami, Florida